Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I'm a little sad



Herbert Keppler died the other day.
I'm going to bet 99% or more of you don't know who he was. You can read a little bio on him here.
I outgrew Popular Photography magazine a number of years ago but, for many years I subscribed to it and read it all the way through. Mr. Keppler had regular articles in every issue. He was very good at the technical side of photography and his articles (because of the subject) could be somewhat boring. I read them anyway and I can't quantify how much I learned through him. And it made a huge difference in my photography. One of the best things I ever did to become a better photographer was to read and read. The more I learned the technical the more it would translate into better pictures. Once you know what all the buttons and switches do you're not afraid of them and you start to use them.
Mr. Keppler was from a different era and I often didn't agree with the type of equipment he liked to use or the style of photography he displayed but that is all opinion. The fact is that he knew what he was doing and it changed the world of photography and specifically my world. I remember him for that.

No comments: