Monday, September 17, 2007

two posts in a day - it's crazy!

My wife and my Men. 
Jolene, Vahn and Gryphyn.







































I started out in photography doing landscapes. I used to look at posters in the big poster stores in the mall of places like Yosemite or the Grand Canyon and I'd like what I saw but I didn't want to buy somebody else's picture. I thought, "Anybody can just go to these places and take a picture, so I'll do it myself". Well, I found out I was just anybody and you don't get the good pictures by just being there and pushing a button. I went through a lot of years, books, film (remember that?), magazines, cameras and cash chasing after those poster images I could have bought for $20. I was after the beauty and the art but I found it in the technical and the details. I began to really enjoy the technical side of photography and knowing what all the buttons did and how the film was made and how lenses worked because it opened so many more opportunities for making good pictures. It's really cool to plan out a good picture instead of getting your prints back from Walgreens and saying, "Oh wow, this one turned out great! I don't know what I did but it looks good."

 It wasn't until my boys were born that I really started to appreciate children's photography (or children at all :) and I've come to really enjoy getting pictures of kids. I notice with kids that most of the time they're very open to having their picture taken or they just don't care either way - and that makes for great pictures - when the subject is just being themselves. 

I've mainly been focused on getting the wedding side of my business put together but, as we head into fall people have started to ask me about doing family pictures for the holidays and I'm certainly open to that as well. I have a great time getting together with people and getting some neat images that really capture who their family is. So hook up with me about that if you interested in getting some cool family stuff this year.

Alright, it's past midnight - I can stop writing now :)

2 comments:

A.Poston said...

Oh Zac, that picture of Jolene is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!! And of course I love the pictures of the boys!!! I wish you were still around to take more family pictures of us now that we have Lucas!! :) Maybe we'll come visit one day soon before the boys are too big!

Anonymous said...

Zac, I just wanted to say thanks for helping to make my son's recent wedding such a memorable occasion. Your photography is wonderful, and your engaging personality really helped everyone to relax and enjoy the day. As a minister who has officiated over dozens of weddings, and worked with many different photographers over the years, I was really impressed with your work. I would recommend you to anyone looking for a wedding photographer. Thanks again!